 Trains / 10227
10226  |  10228
Subject:
Pictures from NGLTC layout at Atlanta NMRA show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 03:11:00 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

I have uploaded some pictures from this weekends NMRA Piedmont Division
(http://www.piedmont-div.org) show here in Atlanta this past weekend.

When we arrived at the Cobb County Civic Center we found that we were given
an bizarre position for setting up, basically it was along the upper level
of the center. This forced us to create a long and narrow layout (thank
goodness for "plywooding"), and we had to try not to cause to much havoc for
the venders that were set up across from us. So we ended up with a 45' x 6'
layout with the Kids Railroad in the middle, it actually worked out quite
well. The good thing was we were the first thing people would come to when
they entered the show, the bad thing was that they didn't move on and it
caused some large traffic jams.

We had some nice new displays on the layout this show, there were Kenny's
nice southern style homes (one full of bunnies), Mike brought his supper
highway overpass which really looked like some of the ones we have on the
Interstates here in Atlanta. There was Jonathan's scale model of a house
that was too big to go on the layout, so it sat next to Lewis' nicely
detailed tractor trailer rig. Also Stacy's Big Boy returned along with the
Garrett. I added the local MARTA commuter rail line that runs on an elevated
track though downtown. Lewis also brought his rendition of the now famous
Cotton Mill fire in Cabbage town were fireman Matt Mosley had to hang from a
helicopter to save a crane operator from the fire below, the local crowd
picked this one out very quickly.

The MARTA line, runs between two stations and is controlled by an RCX, but
still powered by a standard 9V train controller. Basically the RCX would
detect the trains presences in the stations and via a polarity switch would
stop the train, wait for 10 seconds then reverse the train sending back to
the other station. This really worked well and ran with little trouble for
two days. If I had one of the 1.0 RCXs then I would have just powered the
train from the RCX also.

The Rail Racers returned again and actually had visitors stand in line for
their turns to race. I foresee the Rail Racers becoming a sellable item at
next season's shows, people keep asking for them, so I guess it's time for
them to become custom sets to sell at shows. (more on this in the future)

You can see all the pictures at: http://www.ngltc.org and select the "Image
Gallery", you'll see the pictures from the link at the bottom "NMRA Piedmont
Division March 2001"

There are lots of them, so enjoy.

jt

--