 Trains / 10232
Re: A question about Insulation between tracks
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 11:22:50 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Zhengrong Zang writes:
My friends asked me a question about Insulation between tracks, I am not
sure if it will be a problem. Base on some expert's idea, we can
insulated tracks using adhesive tape as follow:
                          |----|
+ ===========O======= -
-  ===========O======= +

|----| is motor
=== is tracks
O     is insulation

The problem is when motor is on the two parts of insulated tracks, and
the current is opposite as above, does the short circuit happen? How can
we avoid it?

Zhengrong

I have used electrical insulation tape and it worked fine. You do have to trim
it carefully to avoid snags. I had considered cutting off the metal coating to
create a permanently non-conducting element but since the tape worked I decided
against it. You could do this for a few of your track peices if you have a
fixed set-up or frequently need insulated connections. I have never experienced
shorting problems but I (and my daughter (6 almost 7) run the trains fast.

Lester