 Trains / 10233
Re: Pics of my "Auto Hopper" unloading hopper car
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 13:43:37 GMT

In lugnet.trains, James Trobaugh writes:
I have uploaded some pictures of my recent hopper car design that has
self-closing unloading doors. The "Auto Hopper" is part of a larger project
that will include a loading and unloading station via an RCX. This hopper
was designed so that it can be driven up onto a scale and then unloaded by
the RCX if it's carring a load.

I like it.  Very neat.  I've built a pair of hoppers myself, which had a
slider in the bottom.  The slider protrudes slightly on either side, so you
push it up against a pair of posts either side of the track to force it
open.  Unfortunately, I had to keep the hatch small enough to pour through
9V track, and it only opens one way round (a two-way slider doesn't
re-centre to close properly every time).  You also can't take the wagon past
the unloading point.

I much prefer your method - particularly if it could be geared.  Or better
yet, have it geared so that you only have to drive past a rack to make it
open...

Jason J Railton