 Trains / 10220
Re: Pics of my "Auto Hopper" unloading hopper car
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 12 Mar 2001 20:38:12 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Frank Buiting writes:

"James J. Trobaugh" <james@ngltc.org> wrote in message
I have uploaded some pictures of my recent hopper car design that has
self-closing unloading doors. The "Auto Hopper" is part of a larger • project
that will include a loading and unloading station via an RCX. This hopper
was designed so that it can be driven up onto a scale and then unloaded by
the RCX if it's carring a load.

The doors are "spring loaded" using a small technic rubber band, thus
allowing them to close tight after being unloaded.

Also you will notice the hopper is actually 7 wide due to the over hang on
the top and the inverted 1x6 plates on the sides for the ribbing.

Let me know what you think.

It looks very good! The overall design of the hopper looks very nice and I
really like the working unloading doors.

Are you running the hoppers over 4.5V tracks or does the load drop between
the ties of 9V tracks? I'm also very curious how the RCX interacts with the
hopper (you made a mechanism that can turn the black switches on the side of
the hopper?
Either way, I'm impressed by the design - I'm trying to build some
auto-discharging hoppers too :-)

-Frank

Yes, the unloading is happening over 4.5 volt track so that I can discharge
into a bin below. Also I'm working on making the same section of track act
as a scale by using some springs and a rotation sensor.

As for the how the RCX will interact with the hopper, I'm undecided. I have
though of replacing the levers with gears, but I more I play with the levers
I think I'll leave them on so the cars can still be used manually. So I'll
probally build some kind of clamp that is controled by the RCX and will
squeeze the levers on the Auto Hopper.

Glad you liked it,

jt