 Trains / 10366
Re: Green line pics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ma, lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2001 01:20:18 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ma, David Eaton writes:
http://www.suave.net/~dave/greenline/greenline.cgi

It's based off of the green line of the Boston subway, in particular, the
cars shown here:

http://www.nycsubway.org/us/boston/green/mbta-green-cleveland03.jpg
http://www.nycsubway.org/us/boston/green/mbta-green-cleveland04.jpg

Wow. I just found out something very interesting. I decided that since I'll
be bringing the green line train to the train show, I'd better have some
stats on it, since I didn't think it was to scale with minifigs or the rest
of our trains that we'll be displaying....

The train I built is based off of the "Boeing LRV" Model, built from
1976-1978. And (get this all you 6-wider's out there) it actually IS minifig
scale, contrary to my first impressions. Boeing LRV's are 71 feet long and
106 inches wide. And assuming a minifig is 6 feet tall, it should be 62.125
studs long and 7.729 studs wide. Mine's 64 studs long and 8 studs wide.
WOOHOO! Complete coincidence strikes again! (And note making avg minifig
height LESS than 6 feet, which is "more accurate" means it should be BIGGER
(maybe even 10 or 12 studs wide!))

Anyway, I was rather startled by that, but rather pleasantly suprised :)

As for an update it's now got REAL train windows & angled in front ends...
and fiber optic lighting for the headlights! And soon enough maybe I'll have
some bilboards for the side, as well as the "T" logo, handicapped sign, and
front numbering!

DaveE