 Town / 892
Re: How do a build a mountain?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 2000 16:28:16 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.town, Brendan Coughlin writes:

Yes, and I wouldn't mind generating one to whatever specs
you have - even flat tops and vertical surfaces for
"drilling" tunnels.

Play well,

Jacob

I built my moonscape like a pinata, but it has it's downsides. The moonscape is
now under repair, after the famous "foot" accident ;-)
Not to mention all the tiny fragments of plaster that decorated my room after
that...
Perhaps I'd make it solid somehow, using... Concrete or something. Concrete
would make it very heavy, perhaps you can achieve the same results with plaster
*only*? A big pile of plaster, let i dry, add some more, more, the drill/file/
saw it down to the desired shape. If you make a pinata-style mountain and
accidently lean against it, you'll be sorry you didn't go for the LEGO
alternative :-)

Well, you're really going to get two different looking designs if you make a
mountain out of Lego's, and a mountain out of plaster.  First of all, with
Lego bricks, you will get a lot of jagged edges which is perfect for a
mountain.  You can add bricks anywhere you want.  However, with using lego's,
you're still taking away the realism of a mountain.  I mean look at the water
on my website.  Blue tinfoil worked PERFECTLY.  I couldn't get that realistic
look with blue lego pieces.  Not to mention, I don't have enough pieces for
making a mountain and buying the pieces will take a LOT of money.  This
mountain is going to end up being 3 feet long and probably about 1 and a half
feet wide.  The top is going to be a forest.  It's basically going to be a
cutaway because I want the mountain to look as though it continues on.  That's
why I'm leaning toward the plaster mountain, but I don't know how how I will
make it?  Will it be like a pinata and then go from there?  This will be a
very fun and interesting project, that's for sure.  :-)

Brendan