 Town / 5856
Re: New MOCs -- A whole city, inspired by Greenwich Village
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Wed, 19 Mar 2003 23:12:55 GMT

In lugnet.announce.moc, Sean Kenney writes:
http://www.mocpages.com/folder.php/5

In lugnet.town, Jason Spears writes:
Joined Buildings - Nice history/story for
creations.  Also the cornice work is very good.

Thanks!  A lot of the buildings I built for this city have little
"histories", because all real-life buildings do too.  Old buildings that
have been around longer than any man or woman alive go through changes; they
are affected by differnent architectural periods, and by different
economical needs.  Like one building I made has an extra floor on top that
doesn't match the rest of the building: the cornice is no longer on the
topmost floor, and the styles are different.  It's a landlord adding another
floor because the zoning laws changed.  Another building has a solid wall
where you would expect windows.  Maybe there used to be an adjacent building
that was knocked down to build the parking lot.

You see it all the time in New York.  Just today I was walking along, and
there was a narrow, empty area between 2 taller old buildings.  Normally,
you would think "it's someone's yard".  But it couldn't be... none of the
adjacent buildings had windows on the sides that faced the "yard"... they
were solid brick.  That means a building used to be there.  If you looked,
you could see a very noticable house-shaped outline on the surrounding brick
walls, from where the sides of a previous building used to butt up against
the taller ones.  The missing building was obviously demolished recently,
and maybe the owner can't afford to build a new one right now.

Another example: There are two new office highrises near where I live that
are identical looking.  In between them are 2 very old, 4-story walk-ups.
Obviously, the developer wanted to build one big office building, but he
couldn't buy the two small properties, so he had to build around them.
Further, you can tell that the owner of the smaller buildings sold the "air
rights" above his buildings, because the big office towers have windows on
their sides, facing over the old buildings.  (why put windows somewhere if
they might get blocked by future development?)

I seriously think about these things everywhere I go, and I try to
incorporate them into my LEGO models.

I will have to borrow some ideas from you.  [..] rooftops [..] fire escapes
[..] air conditioning units, the water drain, and the canopyies [..]
tree lined townhouses

Thanks!  I'd be flattered if you did!  It's always great to get a seed of an
idea from someone and then just run with it and see where it takes you.  I
do it all the time!

The snot work on the White Building with Arches is really innovative.

Well, I don't know if they're "innovative", they're just some sideways
walls. :)  But it came to me when I was trying to decide how to make
smaller-scale windows.  (Since the whole city is in "not-quite-minifig"
scale)  Most of my windows are 2x3 instead of 4x3.  All of a sudden I
realized that those 4x6 three-pane windows, when turned on their sides, form
three windows that are almost perfectly 2x3!

This is my favorite pic:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/seankenney/The-Village/00-Close-up/6th_avenue.jpg

That's my favorite one too! :)

Sean