 Town / 3440
Re: new lego sets? are they crazy?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Mon, 6 Aug 2001 12:36:54 GMT

In lugnet.town, Lawrence Wilkes writes:
What about all the s@h exclusives? The number of sets, bricks, available only • via s@h is increasing rapidly. Though they
are not undercutting the retailers as such, who cant sell them, they are still
priced in the same ball park as though they were available in the retail
channel. Result = 35% more profit for Lego. Where are the deals from
shop@home? They even sell 'hard to find' at full retail, when it used to be
that this was the stuff cleared out at 1/2 price or something through the
retailers. It seems to me that 'Hard to find' = 'Hard to sell'
Worse are bulk bricks. Not only do we seem to be paying top retail price for
this stuff. There is no competition. And no discount for bulk.

regards
lawrence

I can't try to defend Shop@Home on those accounts.  Why they can't make bulk
bricks at a more reasonable price, I don't know. Why we have to pay upwards of
10 cents a piece for basic bricks, I know not. Lego, through the retail chain,
was able to provide us with BULK basic bricks at 2 cents a piece in the 3033.
Why does it cost so much more to buy in lots of 25, 50 or 100.  If I could get
grey bricks at 3-5 cents a piece from Lego, I might never spend my money on
anything else, but with their prices I can't afford to buy from Shop@Home.
Instead I am the dealhunter, the bargainbuyer, and the clearencemonger. 50% to
75% off, that's what I wait for.

I have to agree with your statement about 'Hard to find' = 'Hard to sell'.  Why
do they want full retail, shouldn't they just sell them at a discount to clear
out old inventory?  Why Lego does the things they do, and why they price things
they way they do, may never be known to us.  Unless of course Brad or someone
else in Lego Direct wants to pipe up an elighten us.

-Jason Spears

PS I only defended Shop@Home on their prices of current retail items, for
everything else I agree with you and look forward to the day when those items
are priced more consumer friendly.