 Town / 3438
Re: new lego sets? are they crazy?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.town
Date:
Mon, 6 Aug 2001 08:56:14 GMT

"Jason Spears" <spearjr@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:GHLnnq.Lpw@lugnet.com...

There is a very good reason why Shop@Home doesn't have all the sets at 25% off
every day. Lego makes the vast majority of their money through the retail
chains.  And they can't afford to anger those chains.  If people know they can
go to ToysRus and buy a 1351 for $60 or they can call up Shop@Home and get it
for $45 plus shipping, who are they going to buy from?  What's more is ToysRus,
or Walmart, or K-mart will look at it the same way and decide it isn't worth it
for them to carry the Lego product anymore.  So if Lego isn't being sold
anywhere but Shop@Home and the various Lego stores they lose a ton of money.

So the short reason is that to not anger the retail chains, they can't sell for
less, they can only have deals on stuff that the retail chains don't carry
anymore or ever.

What about all the s@h exclusives? The number of sets, bricks, available only via s@h is increasing rapidly. Though they
are not undercutting the retailers as such, who cant sell them, they are still priced in the same ball park as though
they were available in the retail channel. Result = 35% more profit for Lego.
Where are the deals from shop@home? They even sell 'hard to find' at full retail, when it used to be that this was the
stuff cleared out at 1/2 price or something through the retailers.
It seems to me that 'Hard to find' = 'Hard to sell'
Worse are bulk bricks. Not only do we seem to be paying top retail price for this stuff. There is no competition. And no
discount for bulk.

regards
lawrence