 Technic / Bionicle / 76
Re: Reuters report on Lego at New York Toy Fair
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.technic.bionicle
Date:
Sat, 10 Feb 2001 16:30:24 GMT

In lugnet.general, Lawrence Wilkes writes:
[...]
With vicious-looking villains and grim heroes, Bionicle clearly marks a
departure from LEGO's traditional nonviolent image, but Eio is not worried.

``Our policy is, don't do violence for the sake of violence. We don't want
to encourage violence, that's why we don't make any tanks or fighter planes.
But we have accepted it in fantasy settings and we also have medieval
castles with invaders and things like that,'' he said.

That quote is interesting...  Maybe I'm reading it the wrong way, but it
seems to be implying that tanks and fighter planes are violence for the sake
of violence.  I thought tanks and fighter planes were violence for the sake
of national security and winning wars -- hardly violence for the sake of
violence.  Same with castles and invaders.  I wonder what is meant by fantasy
settings?  Seems to me that boxing and WWF and things like that are violence
for the sake of violence (or more accurately, entertainment).

In any case, I'm excited about the new selection of pieces coming out in the
Bionicle sets.

--Todd