 General / 27681
Re: Reuters report on Lego at New York Toy Fair
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 11:56:36 GMT

In lugnet.general, Dave Low writes:
In lugnet.general, Lawrence Wilkes writes:

So much cool stuff here!!

This year, LEGO will be releasing more than 170 new products, its highest
number ever.

I wonder if there has been a corresponding increase in the R&D budget?

Hope so, And I'd love to work for the R&D dept in Windosr/Slough.. Sent Lego
Europe North a CV and havee not heard anything.

With vicious-looking villains and grim heroes, Bionicle clearly marks a
departure from LEGO's traditional nonviolent image, but Eio is not worried.

``Our policy is, don't do violence for the sake of violence. We don't want
to encourage violence, that's why we don't make any tanks or fighter planes.
But we have accepted it in fantasy settings and we also have medieval
castles with invaders and things like that,'' he said.

Give it a few years: "LEGO's new UN peace keeping force series is not about
violence as such. It reflects an international aspiration to conflict
resolution, and a desire to end war."

Nah, Best Lock already doing a UN range. And ISTR a Uniceff truck already
beinga lego set ;-)

adding that the company hoped to offer three-dimensional customized products >soon.

Intriguing! Unless they're moving into the statuette business, this sounds
like the "submit your DAT, we'll send you the bricks" concept?

Yeah but only if your browser can suppourt the new highly advanced
FLASH/InactiveX controls for feeding in the design ;-)

New Traditional Products

LEGO also has other, more traditional, new products up its sleeve this
season. Among these are the Harry Potter line which will go on sale in the
fall, preceding the eagerly anticipated Warner Brothers movie, scheduled for
release in November. In addition to the movie-based products, Lego will also
be releasing software based on the book.

In case there was any doubt, confirmation of ABS Potter. Interesting to see
a distinction between "movie" licensing and "book" licensing: fingers
crossed that the movie is more like the book and less like "Home Alone" (see
http://www.salon.com/people/feature/2000/08/24/potter/index.html ).

And hopefully better castle then the Castle JR of Knight Kingdom...

The mind boggles...  I'm hanging out for rugby, or at least gridiron.

Or maybe Cricket... One for Lego Australia I feel ;-). I'm sure there are
white minfigs... (Althoguh the cricket teams don't all wear whites anymore.)

Alex

--DaveL