 General / 27648
Re: Reuters report on Lego at New York Toy Fair
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 10 Feb 2001 16:23:14 GMT

In lugnet.general, Lawrence Wilkes writes:

So much cool stuff here!!

snippo
``LEGO is unique among toy makers, it is perhaps the only toy label people
will go to the store and ask for,'' said David Leibowitz, managing director
for investment bank Burnham Securities, who has followed LEGO for many
years.

``People go to the store and ask for Barbie, not Mattel, but they will ask
for LEGO,'' he said. Mattel Inc. based in El Segundo, California, makes
Barbie dolls and other toys.

<soapbox> More than anything this reinforces the need to fight against that
insidious question: "Aren't Megabloks legos the same as LEGO legos, only
cheaper?"</soapbox>

This is also interesting from the whole "top among families by 2005"
perspective: say the results come in that
(A): 90% know Barbie
(B): 80% know legos (=plastic building bricks)
(C): 60% know LEGO (=LEGO brand)
(D): 20% know Mattel

So TLC, interpreting the generic (B) as though it meant the specific (C),
claim 80% market recognition, four times that of Mattel Inc., when in fact,
by branding Mattel's Barbie has 1.5 times the recognition of the "true" LEGO
brand.

This year, LEGO will be releasing more than 170 new products, its highest
number ever.

I wonder if there has been a corresponding increase in the R&D budget?

Launching in late summer, the Bionicle line consists of six heroes, known as
the Toa, and five villains, know as the Makuta. In addition to the figures,
LEGO will launch two Bionicle video games.

So! Bionicle II, once you've bought the Toa and the Turaga: collect the five
incarnations of the Makuta. Quoting from bionicle.com:

Some say he has three heads. Others say he can change into many forms.

The legend says the Makuta is a whirling, kicking, screaming, clawing beast.
He -- or IT -- could be many things at once - cobra, tiger, hawk.

A combined Makuta from five Toa scale figures would be quite impressive!
(and is it just me, or do the Mata Nui names sound like they were bought in
a job lot from Toyota?)

With vicious-looking villains and grim heroes, Bionicle clearly marks a
departure from LEGO's traditional nonviolent image, but Eio is not worried.

``Our policy is, don't do violence for the sake of violence. We don't want
to encourage violence, that's why we don't make any tanks or fighter planes.
But we have accepted it in fantasy settings and we also have medieval
castles with invaders and things like that,'' he said.

Give it a few years: "LEGO's new UN peace keeping force series is not about
violence as such. It reflects an international aspiration to conflict
resolution, and a desire to end war."

Leibowitz agrees. ``I think Bionicle may actually improve the brand, because
it's less violent than other figures, and kids build the characters
themselves,'' he said.

I'd be really interested to hear a fuller version of this analysis.

The outcome of the struggle is uncertain, but LEGO spokeswoman Shannon
Harnett gave a hint. ``Good always triumphs over evil,'' she said.

"uncertain" -- LOL.

adding that the company hoped to offer three-dimensional customized products >soon.

Intriguing! Unless they're moving into the statuette business, this sounds
like the "submit your DAT, we'll send you the bricks" concept?

New Traditional Products

LEGO also has other, more traditional, new products up its sleeve this
season. Among these are the Harry Potter line which will go on sale in the
fall, preceding the eagerly anticipated Warner Brothers movie, scheduled for
release in November. In addition to the movie-based products, Lego will also
be releasing software based on the book.

In case there was any doubt, confirmation of ABS Potter. Interesting to see
a distinction between "movie" licensing and "book" licensing: fingers
crossed that the movie is more like the book and less like "Home Alone" (see
http://www.salon.com/people/feature/2000/08/24/potter/index.html ).

``I think the Harry Potter Lego series should receive high exposure, due to
the strength of the Lego brand, and the character's popularity,'' said
Nicole Dowswell, a spokeswoman for retailer K Mart Corp. KM.N.

Eio also seems pleased with the Potter license.

``Harry Potter fits very well with Lego, castles have always been very
popular for us, and the entire Potter story is based on this castle-like
school,'' he said.

<snide> High calibre expert analysis they've got there. </snide>

Last year Lego had an unexpected success -- or ``sleeper hit'' -- with LEGO
Soccer, and is now adding a women's team and a team transporter.

The long awaited "fem-fig" set. Excellent.

However, Lego has not ventured into other, more widely televised U.S. >sports... The company was considering expanding the line into other sports, >but according to Eio there were no firm plans.

The mind boggles...  I'm hanging out for rugby, or at least gridiron.

--DaveL