 General / 27649

Re: Reuters report on Lego at New York Toy Fair
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.technic.bionicle
Date:
Sat, 10 Feb 2001 16:30:24 GMT

In lugnet.general, Lawrence Wilkes writes:
[...]
With vicious-looking villains and grim heroes, Bionicle clearly marks a
departure from LEGO's traditional nonviolent image, but Eio is not worried.

``Our policy is, don't do violence for the sake of violence. We don't want
to encourage violence, that's why we don't make any tanks or fighter planes.
But we have accepted it in fantasy settings and we also have medieval
castles with invaders and things like that,'' he said.

That quote is interesting...  Maybe I'm reading it the wrong way, but it
seems to be implying that tanks and fighter planes are violence for the sake
of violence.  I thought tanks and fighter planes were violence for the sake
of national security and winning wars -- hardly violence for the sake of
violence.  Same with castles and invaders.  I wonder what is meant by fantasy
settings?  Seems to me that boxing and WWF and things like that are violence
for the sake of violence (or more accurately, entertainment).

In any case, I'm excited about the new selection of pieces coming out in the
Bionicle sets.

--Todd

[...]

But surely WWF is the fantasy setting!
It cant be called violence. No one gets hurt.

regards
lawrence

[...]

What!?  Remember the one that died a few years back (I think it was Owen Heart)?
Josh

regards
lawrence

Re: Reuters report on Lego at New York Toy Fair
Yes, it was Owen Hart.  There are also other injuries that occur like the
wrestlers getting paralyzed.

[...]

Cant say I follow WWF.
But from Tom Stangl post wasnt it a 'stunt gone wrong'?

regards
lawrence

Re: Reuters report on Lego at New York Toy Fair
settings?  Seems to me that boxing and WWF and things like that are • violence
for the sake of violence (or more accurately, entertainment).

But surely WWF is the fantasy setting!
It cant be called violence. No one gets hurt.

Tell that to the guy that died last year from a stunt gone wrong.

--
Tom Stangl
***http://www.vfaq.com/

Re: Reuters report on Lego at New York Toy Fair
settings?  Seems to me that boxing and WWF and things like that are • violence
for the sake of violence (or more accurately, entertainment).

But surely WWF is the fantasy setting!
It cant be called violence. No one gets hurt.

Tell that to the guy that died last year from a stunt gone wrong.

Surely that is the point
it was "a stunt gone wrong"
No one deliberately set out to hurt him or kill him did they?

regards
lawrence

Re: Reuters report on Lego at New York Toy Fair
settings?  Seems to me that boxing and WWF and things like that are • violence
for the sake of violence (or more accurately, entertainment).

But surely WWF is the fantasy setting!
It cant be called violence. No one gets hurt.

Tell that to the guy that died last year from a stunt gone wrong.

Or Mick "Mankind" Foley, who had his ear ripped off...

Surely that is the point
it was "a stunt gone wrong"
No one deliberately set out to hurt him or kill him did they?

Ah, but you didn't say "nobody is deliberately trying to hurt anybody else",

you said "No one gets hurt."  There's a world of difference between the two.

Re: Reuters report on Lego at New York Toy Fair