 Technic / 8662
Re: MOC: Marine Pedestal Crane
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.modelteam
Date:
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 23:37:00 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Dennis Bosman writes:
Hi Thomas,

A few months ago I already saw some images of your latest crane. No I’ve red
the whole story about it.

It’s a very rare crane, especially because it’s built of LEGO. Never seen
that before! I’m always surprised when people manage to build a real working
model with the geared 9V motors. Myself I’m not really satisfied with those,
but I saw you used four to raise the boom. Haven’t you tried to put a ‘new’
dark grey differential between to motors? It’s really works! But than you
need a lot of space and your models looks big, but I supose you also had you
limits concerning the room within it. Do you have 12V motors anyway? They’re
old, I know, but they’re very strong!

The geared 9V motors are great. It's been proven that they're much more
efficient than the old ones. They suck less current, and their internal gear
reduction has less friction losses than a built-up gear reduction.

The 12V motors may be more powerful (I don't know- never had any), but I'm
all geared up for the 9V system.

The techniques you used actually are quite simple as I saw on you pictures.
The drive of the turntable also looks strong. Using bearings is a good idea,
I have seen more demos the ones of Beat. But the diameter is big.

Yes. The turntable is good! Not to brag, but I mean a thrust roller bearing
is so much better than the old tile-on-tile friction surface.

And my compliments about the time within you built the model! Only 71 hours.

Like I said, the LEGO Technic gods smiled upon me ;-) I don't know how I
managed it so quickly, everything seem to work so well. I'll probably never
get that lucky again!

And the lift: 45 pounds! Wow! I will try it with my future crane, but I'm
not sure if I will manage!

I also enjoyed your story about travelling to Brickfest... <snip>

I'm sure you can appreciate it having travelled yourself. It is very
difficult and you have to be very mindful of how things are packed. It was
quite an experience, but I learned a lot from it. Hopefully my story will
help other who are planning to travel.

It’s a shame I can’t see your model from nearby...<snip>

I know. I'd love to get together sometime with you and many others "over
there, across the pond" :-) We were lucky enough to meet Jennifer Clark this
year at Brickfest. You never know, there may be some opportunities in the
future!

And when are you going to build the vessel ;-)

Ha! That's a good one! Right, the vessel! LOL :-)

Take care and have a nice Christmas and a happy New Year!

Thanks. You too. May the big man in the red suit bring us all many, many
LEGO bricks this year!

TJ