 Technic / 8658
Re: MOC: Marine Pedestal Crane
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.modelteam, lugnet.events
Date:
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 19:24:43 GMT

Hi Thomas,

A few months ago I already saw some images of your latest crane. No I’ve red
the whole story about it.

It’s a very rare crane, especially because it’s built of LEGO. Never seen
that before! I’m always surprised when people manage to build a real working
model with the geared 9V motors. Myself I’m not really satisfied with those,
but I saw you used four to raise the boom. Haven’t you tried to put a ‘new’
dark grey differential between to motors? It’s really works! But than you
need a lot of space and your models looks big, but I supose you also had you
limits concerning the room within it. Do you have 12V motors anyway? They’re
old, I know, but they’re very strong!

The techniques you used actually are quite simple as I saw on you pictures.
The drive of the turntable also looks strong. Using bearings is a good idea,
I have seen more demos the ones of Beat. But the diameter is big.

And my compliments about the time within you built the model! Only 71 hours.

And the lift: 45 pounds! Wow! I will try it with my future crane, but I'm
not sure if I will manage!

I also enjoyed your story about travelling to Brickfest. OK, I know you
weren’t happy when opening the trunks at the hotel. But I’m very suprised
you (and Jennifer) took your models with you when travelling by plane. You
have to pack everything good. I’ve worked at Amsterdam Schiphol Airport for
a training period during my study. The reason I was there was that a
refuelling company had to remove to a new location. My assignment was to
figure out what the consequences are for the rides of the tankers the
airplanes because of the removal (more kilometers to the planes). I was
lucky I could join a ride for several times to those big aircrafts! The
tankers were also impressive, with their 100 tonnes gross weight. Anyway, I
also saw how a plain is loaded with luguage from nearby. They really threw
all cases! Now I could imagine how you stuff was damaged! And on their was
to the aircraft they sometimes loose suitcases.
I’m always glad when the mirrors are still on the trucks when arriving at a
show. I always travel by car, so I have everything in my own hands. But I
also have to pack all my stuff. Therefore I use large boxes and they fit
quite well in my car. I’m glad I haven’t bought a small one!

It’s a shame I can’t see your model from nearby. It would be great if we
could meet. Next year Jennifer also will visit the Modelshow Europe in the
Netherlands with some of her models! I’m very curious what she will bring
with her and I definately would like to see her great DEMAG AC50-1. I think
the show will be much bigger than this year’s edition! When you’re hagging
around in Holland in April, you definately have to visit the show!

And when are you going to build the vessel ;-)

Take care and have a nice Christmas and a happy New Year!

Dennis

Btw: are you looking for more MSG-pictures? I can supply you some.

In lugnet.announce.moc, Thomas Avery writes:
I'm proud to present, finally, the finished webpages for my marine crane MOC
(the crane I took to Brickfest this year):
http://www.texbrick.com/creations/marine_crane

The newly revised pages contain new pictures and a lot of new text (I had
temporary pages available before). They will give readers an intimate look
and understanding of the model's functions and how it was constructed. I've
included many construction tips and ideas used in this model.

Aside from the main page, which has remained mostly the same, you'll find:
• details of the 48 pound lift
• description of model selection, inspiration, and many new pictures
• details on the construction of the model
• pictures from the shows, and transporting the model
• pics and details of a real marine crane

Enjoy!

-TJ
www.texbrick.com
www.texlug.org

p.s. I think I spent more time making the webpages and all the images than I
spent building the darned thing ;-) I know I had about 5 photo sessions at
home, trying to get good shots.