 Technic / 6611
Re: Challenge: Technic Model of the Month!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 13:36:02 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Tobbe Arnesson writes:
Sounds like someone wants to enter with a crane of some sort .) This
is something I did look by, let's see.

I hope cranes are allowed. It would be just terrible if they weren't ;-)

String should be OK as long as it's not used to tie the pieces
togheter, e.g. string from a spool to a crane hook for exampel is ok.

If you're going to allow cranes, you'll need to allow the use of string to:
1. connect spool(s) to lifting hook(s)
2. connect spool(s) to main boom and jib
3. all other intermediate connections for proper rigging of the booms, jibs,
superlifts, etc.

The use of "structrual string or cables" should not be allowed. One example
would be a "X" bracing pattern made of string on a truss. I think this is
what you were getting at.

Non-lego parts should be allowed only for the ballast (e.g. steel, concrete,
rock, etc.). It's unfeasible to allow only Lego parts as a 10 kg ballast
made of bricks would be enormous!

There are other necessary applications of string that should be covered as
well. I've mentioned specific rules above that probably only apply to a
lattice boom type crane.

String should also be allowed for other hoisting and lifting mechanisms:
1. telescoping booms (to extend/retract boom and for hoist line)
2. winches of any sort (e.g. on auto wreckers)

Also, on the subject of string, if you should ever have a category for
suspension bridges, I think it's fitting that string is allowed. But only
for that specific type of bridge.

String is one of those special elements that you just can't overlook. There
are many models that aren't possible without long lengths of string.

TJ