 Technic / 5674
Re: Site updated
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 18:28:20 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Jennifer Clark writes:
Steven Lane wrote:

I will now rig up the Rotinoff with two gear motors and report back with the
results.

Excellent, we need some real science in this stuff for sure :-)

Well' I wouldn't consider my approach particulary scientific :-).

I've fitted the 2 gear motors and it's a big improvement but not in the way
you would expect.

I repeated the pulling test and the transmisson gives in long before the
motors do, although that's in the ballasted state otherwise the tyre's spin.
This was the same with the three non-geared motors, so power in first gear
isn't much of an issue.

Where I noticed the improvement was when I used the higher gears. fourth and
fifth weren't up to much under the old system, but with the gear motors
fifth gear performance is perfectly satisfactory.

I've actualy made quite a few improvements to the truck since my site went
up. It now has an entirely new gearbox, five speed this time as oppossed to
four and a reverse. The change was neccessitated by the having the wrong
ratio's in the old box. I've also improved the rear suspension, the chassis
is now much neater than it was.

After reading all the other posts, I'd go along with the consensus that the
gear motor is better for geared down applications and the other type for speed.

Steve