 Technic / 5672
Re: Site updated
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 17:31:48 GMT

Jennifer Clark <jen@vulture.dmem.strath.ac.uk> writes:

Do you have a link to this test, it sounds pretty interesting?

Sorry, I think it was just something in my mail correspondence with
him.  He used to have the motors connected to an amp meter, to check
for stalling and so on.  He compared the power consumption of each
motor type under various loads, and concluded that the old style motor
consumed significantly more.  I think it used a bit more than twice as
much amps.  Hence, it makes sense, or so he reasoned, to conclude that
the old style motor was a bit more than twice as powerful.

However, in most applications you need to gear down the old style
motor.  Gearing it down means that a lot of friction is applied, and
it loses this extra power in comparison with the new style motor.  So
if you need an slowly spinning axle, the new motor does the gear
reduction more efficiently.

Fredrik