 Technic / 5611
Re: Site updated
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 11:54:05 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Jennifer Clark writes:

Nice job Steve, it is especially good to see the suspension on the tank
working as it boards the trailer.

I'm particulary proud of my suspension because it's fully independant and
hardness adjustable.

I also liked how the tank lurches on the suspension
at startup on the tank video, which is something I've never really thought of
before but I am sure the real ones also do this.

I suspect they do too. I notice in war films the track, just before it feeds
back onto the rear drive sprocket, actually travels in a slight curve due to
centrifugal forces, the tank does this too!

In real life they race tanks up cocrete ramps and actually jump off! They
have to get the speed up enough to get the whole tank airborne otherwise the
back wheels would catch on the ramp. It's amazing the agility of modern
tanks. A real Abrahms can do sixty, and that's with a limiter. Modern
suspension is hydropneumatic, I bet that's got a lot to do with the amazing
performance.

I wanted to film the tank loading sequence but the tank is geared for speed
not power and the tracks slip on the ramps anyway so that'll have to wait
until the phase II modification of the tank.

Interesting that you are using ungeared 9V motors for the tractor - is this
due to them being more powerful or because of a shortage of geared motors?

While I do have a bit of a shoratge of gear motors that isn't the reason.
The reason is that the gear motors produce to much torque. This was proved
in my first lash up when two gear motors broke their mountings and fell out.
More importantly because I use a five speed gearbox gear motors would tear
it apart. The speed the gearbox runs at is quite high, I only reduce the
motor speed by a factor of 5 before sending it to the gearbox. If you used a
gear motor the revs that came out of the gearbox in first gear would be
totally transmisson twisting :-).