 Technic / 5614
Re: Site updated
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 30 Jul 2001 18:07:57 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Thomas (T. J.) Avery writes:

That's pretty good, Steve! It's great to see your models in action.

I'm a big fan of showing my models in action, file size and avaiable web
space being major restrictions.

The truck is pretty slow-movin' (i.e. it's got a lotta power).

I'll say, but not as bad as it could have been.

I'm guessing that the gear ratio is something around 1:1000. Your drive train
must be really well built.

I'm not sure what the ratio is, chassis and drive trains are my speciality
as I've being doing them for quite a while.

My experience with my crawler crane (1:1080 ratio on the tracks) taught me
that gear breakage starts around a ratio of 1:600, or so. I trashed many
24-tooth gears getting it right.

I've never broke a 24, plenty of eights but no 24's.

I guess I could try a pull with my crawler tracks to compete with your
truck. The only problem would be slippage of the tracks, and if it's
acceptable given your rules.

Your crawler definately breaks my rules but we can get around that. My
challenge was designed to provide a level playing feild for other truck
maker's. I'm pretty sure I'm the only one who takes thing's to such extremes
at the moment but I may have fired a few imaginations. If any one enters
this forum will be the first to know. The rules are strictly for trucks and
my challenge designed to back up my claim of being builder of the world's
strongest Lego truck. Going up against your crane would be a different
challenge, one I'm more than willing to take up though :-). My testing
method is just as valid for a crane, I'd expect major slippage though from
the tracks.

Steve

The rules for my truck challenge are as follows.

Only two powered axles, with functioning differential's
A center diff powering the axles.
It should really have a working gearbox but I might make an exception
It should have a maximum of four motors.
Working suspension
No modified parts except the one's I've used (see main page)
And obviously only Lego parts are to be used.