 Technic / 5669
Re: Site updated
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2001 12:57:37 GMT

Jennifer Clark <jen@vulture.dmem.strath.ac.uk> writes:

3) Air compressor experiements - my most powerful one motor
compressor used the ungeared motor. I've never been able to equal
it in terms of pressure and airflow with a geared motor.

I think so too!  I think it is generally better to use the ungeared
motor for applications where you need a quickly spinning thingey.  For
the small compressor, I usually gear the ungeared motor down using a
rubber band and the large pulley, and it is able to drive the
compressor fairly efficiently.

Plus, the ungeared motor actually has a higher power output than the
geared one!  At least that was the conclusion of Chris Moseley when he
tested them.  So it is better to use the ungeared motor when you need
the high speed.  But if you need slower speed, the new style motor
does the gear reduction with less friction than you can do with
ordinary technic gears, so that would be the best solution.

It all depends on the application, I guess.  We are lucky that LEGO
gave us the choice of a motor to use.

BTW, Jennifer, your post has many long lines, up to 80 characters.
This causes line wrapping when people reply to your article and quote
some of your text, so it is usually better to leave the lines a bit
shorter in the first place.  On USENET, it is usually recommended to
keep the line length below 72, or at least 75.  I think the same
guidelines should be followed here, since many people use the same
kind of tools.  This is only indended as a friendly hint, I do not
mean to critisize you in any way!

Fredrik