 Technic / 5663
Re: Site updated
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 18 Aug 2001 18:28:29 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Steve Lane writes:
In lugnet.technic, Jennifer Clark writes:

Interesting that you are using ungeared 9V motors for the tractor - is this
due to them being more powerful or because of a shortage of geared motors?

The speed the gearbox runs at is quite high, I only reduce the
motor speed by a factor of 5 before sending it to the gearbox. If you used a
gear motor the revs that came out of the gearbox in first gear would be
totally transmisson twisting :-).

I've been thinking about this question again today and after 2 minute's
research at:

http://web.mit.edu/sp.742/www/motor.html

I found out that the speed difference between the gear motor compared with a
non-geared motor geared down by a factor of five is only 33%. Therefore you
probably could use a gear motor in conjunction with a gearbox. I still think
though that replacing 3 or 4 non-geared motors with a corresponding number
of gear motors would produce two much torque. Maybe 1 gear motor should
substitue 2 non-gear motors. I think this because on the page listed above
it says that the gear motor is a lot harder to stall.

I will now rig up the Rotinoff with two gear motors and report back with the
results.

Steve