 Technic / 516
Re: New technic MOC: Gecko Seven
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 10:41:55 GMT

Neil <mennre@leeds.ac.uk> writes:

Nice model Fredrik!

Thanks!

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one with weight problems, well not
me personally, but with my technic cars!  I find that I spend more
time working out how to get the suspension to support my models than
any other part of the building process.

Yes, this is a problem with large Technic vehicles.  I've previously
solved this by making sure that the shocks connect as far out as
possible on the suspension arms, by making sure that they are vertical
and by simply adding more shocks absorbers.

For anyone who is interested in Fredrick's suspension setup, can I
direct you to my latest model on the technic-uk homepage, under
'Neil's technic creations' on www.technic-uk.co.uk.  Using
rockers/linkages can help lots in reducing the suspension travel, and
therefore giving a stiffer setup.

I tried out a number of ways to use linkages to reduce the travel of the
suspension, including some almost like your choice.  However for my
particular model, it was of importance to keep down the height of the
construction, as I wanted a sleek racing car like look.  So I went for
the solution to "hide" the shocks in the centre of the body.  This is
probably hardly realistic, but it works pretty nicely.

Of course, adding linkages to the suspension increases the friction,
which makes it even less realistic.  The high level of friction inherent
in the suspension (mostly from the shock absorbers themselves) means
that the car wouldn't handle like a real car at all.  So the suspension
is mostly for "looks" on a car like this.  But then again, so is the
gear box and motor!

If you're interested, I've made a few other cars to the same scale, for
example this one

    http://www.math.uio.no/~fredrigl/technic/stratos/

in which I solved the weight problem by using many shock absorbers per
front wheel.

Fredrik