 Technic / 5124
Re: converting 8880 4 wheel drive to regular hubs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 5 Jun 2001 17:08:35 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Fredrik Glöckner writes:
"Lawrence Wilkes" <lawrence@thewilkesfamily.freeserve.co.uk> writes:

Sorry, my sentence was a bit confusing. I didn't plan to have 6
wheels to help steering, but wanted front and rear steeering
because of the six wheels.

No it wasn't I understood first time.

Ah, I see!  I've had the same problem myself.  I once made a truck
using the 8880 wheels.  It had three axles, and only the front one had
steering.  It was very hard to steer the thing because of the twin
rear axles.

My solution was to make the rear axle lift.  With the rear axle
lifted, steering was no problem at all.  And I could simply lower the
axle when I needed it for heavy loads, for example.

I too am currently using power puller wheels in a similar project. I'm not
saying too much yet but it should embrace all the factors discussed here. My
vehicle is somewhat conventional but robust (like a Scammell). I'm thinking
why not do what they do in real life, if two front wheels won't turn you add
an axle and go 8x4 (or 8x8). Jennifer's provided enough info for a good
implementation. If you move weight from the rear towards the centre that
will improve steering performance even more.

Steve