 Technic / 5122
Re: converting 8880 4 wheel drive to regular hubs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 5 Jun 2001 15:59:57 GMT

"Fredrik Glöckner" <fredrik.glockner@bio.uio.no> wrote in message
"Lawrence Wilkes" <lawrence@thewilkesfamily.freeserve.co.uk> writes:

Actually, my plan is for a 6x6, and I wanted front and rear
steering as there is too much friction from the wide rubber on
those big wheels for turning.

I don't think I understand how using six wheels is going to help you
here.  The problem with the friction and steering will be present also
when using six wheels.  Perhaps you will find the problem even more
severe, as there are four wheels turning, and not two?

I meant to add that the friction is in the tyres, not the lego assembly.
They are too wide and the rubber causes too much friction.
If you only turn the front set of the 3 axles, then it causes the other 2
axles to skid around the corner.
But because of that massive rubber on the pp wheels, they dont skid, and the
vehicle just carries on almost in a straight line.
So you have to have the back axle steering too, or the middle axle (as in
that mobile crane in the technic ideas book) Or even all 3!

regards
lawrence