 Technic / 5009
Re: Technic Wheels
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 20 May 2001 02:28:32 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Ronald Vallenduuk writes:
It's hard to pick an overall favorite. For trucks I'd go for the old 24x43
as found in the first technics series (851 and 853).
Just after looking at some pics and noticed two things: the old
857(motorbike with sidecar) was (re?) released as 8857

I don't think so, I think the 8857 is the US number for the european 857.

Anyway, for motorbikes, depending on scale there are two decent options:
8417 wheels or 8857 wheels. The good thing about the 8417 wheels is that
they're round (hmm, that sounds obvious for a wheel, but I guess you know
what I mean...), the good thing about 8857 wheels is that they're big. Now
Lego, give us the best of both....

About those 8857 wheels: the other day I saw a picture of a model using
those wheels, but the tyres had a much nicer profile. 8857 has the same
'off-road' tyres as found in the Mindstorms set. In this picture however
they had a street profile. Anyone know what set the street profile was in?

The wheels are from <set:8422>. I think they are the best motorcycle wheels
made to date. The front wheel in <set:8417> is great but only for smaller
scale. The back wheel does not have the proper proportions for a motorcycle
wheel.

What I'm really waiting for is big spoked motorbike wheels (Silver Champ
diameter)....

Duq

Actually the wheel from <set:8422> as well as the wheel in the Mindstorms set
have the same diameter as the Silver Champion wheels. What I really want are
wheels 50% larger than those - to make a motorcycle in a larger scale (and
with more functions...)

see: http://news.lugnet.com/technic/?n=4416
and: http://news.lugnet.com/technic/?n=4398

- David