 Technic / 5007
Re: Technic Wheels
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 20 May 2001 01:47:33 GMT

It's hard to pick an overall favorite. For trucks I'd go for the old 24x43
as found in the first technics series (851 and 853).
Just after looking at some pics and noticed two things: the old
857(motorbike with sidecar) was (re?) released as 8857, the same number as
the Street Chopper or trike. Coincidence? Also noticed that the street
chopper's alternative model is a dragster, and 5533 Red Fury uses the same
wheels....
Anyway, for motorbikes, depending on scale there are two decent options:
8417 wheels or 8857 wheels. The good thing about the 8417 wheels is that
they're round (hmm, that sounds obvious for a wheel, but I guess you know
what I mean...), the good thing about 8857 wheels is that they're big. Now
Lego, give us the best of both....

About those 8857 wheels: the other day I saw a picture of a model using
those wheels, but the tyres had a much nicer profile. 8857 has the same
'off-road' tyres as found in the Mindstorms set. In this picture however
they had a street profile. Anyone know what set the street profile was in?
Pics here: http://homepage1.nifty.com/f-komi/lego/original/police/police.htm
and http://homepage1.nifty.com/f-komi/lego/original/american/american.htm

What I'm really waiting for is big spoked motorbike wheels (Silver Champ
diameter)....

Duq

"Adrian Egli" <aegli@san.rr.com> wrote in message
Way back when the 8848 "Power Truck" (U.S.) came out and first saw the
20x30; I fell in love with them.  Used them on a lot of MOC.  But Fredirk
was saying the 68.8x24 on the 8479 Barcode have some real potential.  I
think LEGO is not taking advantage of them IMO.  If LEGO used the same
dimensions but changed the design a little(spoke hub design maybe) we • could
a revision of the car sets of the 1970's?  Thoughts?

Adrian

"Gaurav Thakur" <cp5670@supermail.com> wrote in message
What is everyone's favorite type of Technic wheel? (tire and hub)

I like the 81.6x34 ZR ones the best. (these come with the 8857 Street
Chopper and 8880 Super Car)

I know many people here also prefer the 24x43s and the older type of • 20x30s...

-Gaurav Thakur, raving madman
Can be reached at cp5670@supermail.com
http://cp5670.terrashare.com/TC/