 Technic / 5030
Re: Technic Wheels
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 26 May 2001 02:46:32 GMT

Thanks for the replies everyone. It is nice to have some opinions from other
Technic fans.

The wheels are from <set:8422>. I think they are the best motorcycle wheels
made to date.

Agreed! I also really like these wheels for motorcycles; it would be nice if
they made a slightly larger version for a bigger motorcycle model though...

My favourite's the 20x30 but I'd like to see more of the tyre's on the
barcode truck. They're pneumatic, have a realistic tread, have the correct
height/width ratio and are a nice size. The hub doesn't look bad either

Yeah; actually I thought that that those 62.4x20 S ones bore a striking
resemblance to the much older 20x30s. They look quite nice for medium-sized
truck models...

What's the one that comes on the 8446? I love those...

I think that one is called 56x30 R. I also like his one quite a bit due to
their off-road design and compact size. BTW does anyone know if the 49.8x26
VR tires (these come with 8440 and 8445) use the same hubs as these do?

Todd, There seems to be something wrong with the picture of <set:8446> on the
set reference. It is cut in half and has been that way for a while.

I have noticed this too; guess I wasn't the only one who thought that looked
a bit strange...

My (current) favourite is the cool, white hubbed (13x24 if I read right!)
found on the (blue) 8042, which colour combination is, well, ice cool.
Also found in 8835 (and doubtless elsewhere)

This is probably one of the most commonly-used Technic wheels; I remember
seeing this on many sets, including 8034, 8042, 8044, 8064, 8094, 8837, 8872
and several others. It also appeared on many Model Team sets in the past. It
does look quite nice for smaller models.

BTW did anyone notice that a few of the tire names are repeated? (I guess it
means that they have similar radius and thickness) There seem to be two
81.6x34 ZR wheels (the kind on the 8857/8880 and the ones on the 8448) as
well as two types of 20x30s (3 counting the air-filled and solid versions as
two seperate types; 8850/8854/8868, 8074/8082, 8460). While the 81.6x34s are
both about the same size though, the 20x30 are of completely different
dimensions. I think that they changed the naming conventions with the wheels
after 1990, and it might just be a coincidence that one of the newer wheels
had the same designation as one of the older wheels of a different size.
Although the solid (non air-filled) newer 20x30s seem to use the same hubs
as the old 20x30s...

-Gaurav Thakur, raving madman
Can be reached at cp5670@supermail.com
http://cp5670.terrashare.com/TC/