 Technic / 4972
Re: How to strengthen friction peg?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 17 May 2001 19:55:30 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Tobbe Arnesson writes:
Actually, I don't have a problem removing them anymore. Click on the "other"
section and you will see my solution for removing friction pegs.

http://www.geocities.com/dnjhess/lego.html

I'm sorry, but I don't understand how that works. I found the gadget
but I can't imagine it. Perhaps my English is lacking on me again :(

Please explain :)

/Tobbe

http://www.arnesson.nu/lotek/

Hmmm... Let me see if I can be clearer. I have a hard time with verbal
explainations. I suggest that you look at the picture while reading this.

Quick description of how it works....

You can barely see an axle on the face of the remover (inside the 1 x 2
technic beam). This axle is attached to the same cross-axle as the shock
absorbers. When the cross-axle is pushed, the axle that you see extends by
one stud length. When you let go, the shock absorbers act as a return
mechanism, moving the axle back into the recessed position.

Now for usage....

The tile you see protruding from the bottom of the remover is attached to a
couple of hinge plates, which allows it to be folded (90 degrees) out of the
way. With the tile out of the way, the technic beam with the problem
friction peg is lined up with the axle hole in the face of the remover.
Attach it, peg outward, to the upper plate and return the hinged tile to
it's extended position as shown in the picture. This acts as a capture
device for the technic beam.

Grip the remover with captured beam in your hand with the cross-axle in the
palm, thumb on top and middle finger under the hinged tile. Point the
friction peg in a direction where you have a good line-of-sight, and
squeeze. The axle will extend as described above, displacing the friction
peg (which will be airborne for a good distance if you're not careful).

When the remover is released, the axle returns to it's recessed position.
Fold back the hinged tile as before and remove the technic beam.

I hope that this explanation was a little more detailed and clearer than
what I have on the web page. Clicking on the picture allows you to download
the DAT file, which should shed some light on the internals.

Also, I got the idea from here:
http://www.brickshelf.com/scans/8000/8865/8865-38.html

Let me know if there is anything that I still need to clarify.

-Duane