 Technic / 4891
Re: Finally updated the videos on my site
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 8 May 2001 17:57:14 GMT

Happily enough, the lego pistons seemed to have almost exactly the correct
reach in each position.
If I remember correctly, the real world digger I based it on used nearly
identical pistons all round (it seemed).
The only major difference was in the primary piston of the backhoe. The real
thing can bring the first boom section nearly horizontal, but mine stops a
good way off. Not really a problem as I doubt anyone would ever try digging
a really deep hole with the model....

--

Batfink
Jennifer Clark <jen@vulture.dmem.strath.ac.uk> wrote in message
Tom Newsom wrote:

The realism comes from the accuracy to the real life counterpart.
By keeping all the piston mounts in the same places,
the same motions were achieved.

The problem I often run into with this approach is incompatibility of the
stroke of the cylinder compared to the real one - usually it is too short,
which means finding a different set of mountpoints to achieve the same • working
envelope as the real machine. The dipper and bucket on my excavator were • not
too bad in this regard, but the main boom was a total nightmare, as was • the
boom on the skid steer loader. Did you come across this with your digger • at
all?

Jennifer