 Technic / 3855
RE: I think it's time for a motor grader! Future 8455? too much crane
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 15:06:24 GMT

Another thing I've been reading about recently are scrapers,
which also seem
quite interesting. I think either graders or scrapers can have a
conveyor belt
type mechanism which lifts the earth and unloads it into a dump
truck driving
alongside, which would make a good model. I may be mistaken in
this though.

I think you're talking about a third type of machine, which is a
grinder.

1. Graders have a blade which is between the front and rear wheels.
   The blade can swing around, move left and right, and up and down
   as well as tilt.

2. Scrapers are usually articulated and have an adjustable opening at
   the front of the scraper bucket. They also have a movable plate
   in the bucket that pushes the dirt out, thus giving them the ability
   to move huge quantities of earth around a job site.

3. Grinders (or whatever you want to call them) have the ability
   to tear up asphalt roads and grind up the bits. SOme just recycle the
   asphalt in place to create a new roadbed, others take the ground material
   off on a conveyor to a waiting truck.

Either way, there are LOTS of very specialized bits of construction
machinery
waiting for expert Technicificaiton

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pbForth>

Buy "Extreme Mindstorms: an Advanced Guide to Lego Mindstorms"
<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1893115844/hempeldesigngrou>
Reply to:      rhempel at bmts dot com