 Technic / 3853
Re: I think it's time for a motor grader! Future 8455? too much crane
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 14:50:49 GMT

Ross Crawford wrote:

Oooops. Just realised how bad that sounded, Jennifer!! I didn't really mean it
like that!!

Innuendo noted :-)

The funny thing is that I've never really "groked" graders, to use a phrase from
a previous thread. It was only recently that I had any idea how they actually
worked! I suspect this is probably because I've seen plenty of excavators,
backhoes, cranes and so on working in towns, roads and building sites but graders
seem to work mostly in the back of beyond. I find that I really have to have a
good idea in my head of the dynamics of a machine before I model it... it is
impossible to capture its soul otherwise ;-)

Another thing I've been reading about recently are scrapers, which also seem
quite interesting. I think either graders or scrapers can have a conveyor belt
type mechanism which lifts the earth and unloads it into a dump truck driving
alongside, which would make a good model. I may be mistaken in this though.

Jennifer Clark