 Technic / 3803
Re: I think it's time for a motor grader! Future 8455?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 2001 13:18:07 GMT

Jennifer Clark wrote:

Geoffrey Hyde wrote:

One thing I would wish for is to see a pneumatic control add-on module for
the Mindstorms system.

I'll second this! While I've yet to get the Mindstorms set, electrically
controlled pneumatic switches would open up so many possibilities. While it is
possible at the moment with various mechanisms, the motor overhead (and size)
makes it impractical for a lot of situations.

This is something I'm just now getting into.  There are quite a few
things I found.

Pneumatic switch and pump:
http://home.t-online.de/home/sibylle.eddy/pneswit.html
Compressor: http://www.sonic.net/~rci/legocompressor.htm
Using r/c servos with the RCX (Remote switch):
http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/servos/index.html
Pressure limiting switch:
http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/pressureswitch/index.html
Double acting compressor:
http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/compressor/index.html
Good pneumatics reference: http://www.geocities.com/cssoh1/index.html

As Jennifer said, there are many possibilities, but for now it looks
like the best choice are the r/c servos.

Patrick