 Technic / 14853
Re: Random Pneumatic idea/question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 19 Nov 2005 21:37:37 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Nathan Bell wrote:
You guys are smart.  I get lost reading your posts but can appreciate the genius
displayed in them.

Could pneumatics be used to pump a liquid?  I mean, you know how air pressure is
used in spray bottles/soap dispensors?  The moving air goes over a gap that is
the end of a verticle tube leading down into the liquid reservior.  Since there
is less pressure in a moving fluid (air in this instance), it draws the liquid
up the tube and out the sprayer.  Lets say someone wanted to build a tanker
truck (a non-lego air-tight chamber inside a Lego brick tank).  Could they use a
motorized or manual pump to spray the liquid in this fashion?  It shouldn't even
get the pneumatics wet.

I don't recall ever seeing this idea implemented before, but if it has been done
before- Jacub Mauer or Glen Bell may have done it.

Is this a good idea or am I crazy?  (I hope that last question does not open a
pandora's box of comments!)

Nathan

Hi Nathan,
  It is possible to make a sprayer using pneumatics.  Imagine how a super soaker
works.  You have a water tank, and an air pressure tank.  You pump up pressure
in the air pressure tank.  Once you release that pressure, the water is sprayed
out.

  To keep the important pneumatic parts separate from the water, use two blue
tanks.  Stack them vertically.  The bottom port holds water.  The top holds air.

Attach a hose to the bottom port of the bottom tank.  Hook the free end of the
hose to the center port of a switch.  Hook another hose to one of the ports on
the swtich.  The free end of the second hose is your sprayer.

  Attach the bottom tank to the top tank with hoses and a switch in between.
This switch will help with the filling process.

  Attach a pump to the top port of the top tank.  With the switches set
properly, pumping the pneumatic pump should make water squirt out of the water
tank.

  Filling the water tank is the tricky part.  You want water going into the
tank, while the air that is displaced comes out.  You'll need to use both ports
on the tank to do this.

Kevin