 Technic / 14852
Re: Other pneumatic questions.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 19 Nov 2005 21:27:25 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Billy Bauman wrote:
  Hi all.

  I'm sorta new here so, I'm not real familiar with way the forums work.

  Anyhow, having seen the three position piston control by Kevin L. Clague, and
other various pneumatic logic devices using Boolean logic and Boolean gates, I
was wondering, is it possible, if given enough parts, to use the gates to
construct pneumatic Random Access Memory like in a computer? And if so would it
be useful? And finally, would it be practical?

Billy, I'm pretty sure you could, but I doubt you'd want to use a piston per bit
of memory.

Billy.

Instead you might want to use a 1x10 technic brick, with long pins with friction
in them.  The idea being that you can slide the pins in the holes.  One position
would be considered a 0, the other position considered a 1.  You could use 8
pins to make a byte.

If you could create a large belt of these, then you could turn the belt to
address the byte you want.

Single direction stepper motors are easy to make, so you could use that to turn
the belt in a controlled way.

Kevin