 Technic / 14684
Re: Classic timing circuits and XOR gates (long)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 3 Oct 2005 19:49:00 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Mark Bellis wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Kevin L. Clague wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Mark Bellis wrote:

(SNIP)

Can I suggest that in order to avoid leaks (very important in walking robots!)
you use the full XOR gate from my diagram:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/mbellis/Technic/Pneumatics/PnP-Robot/pnp_robot_circuit.jpg

I've never had leak problems with a four switch XOR gate.  The fifth gate in
your diagram is particular to your overall circuit, right?

Yes, four switches in one bank (grab) and one in the other bank (wrist) make the
XOR gate.

(SNIP)
You can reverse the engine rotation using polarity reversors as I did here:

Or with a differential as I did here:

Or with linkages as used in regular steam engines.

I have the double reverser scheme in my shuttle circuit at the moment.  I didn't
see the need for finer phase adjustment yet, since the shuttle device will be
either moving or stationary and will be designed to be aligned only to multiples
of 90 degrees.

You have odd extra switches in your reversers.  I would use only four in each,
wired like the top 4 grab ones in my P+P robot because the timing is designed to
have a wide margin.  A reverser is just the larger half of an XOR gate.

Out of date reversors.  Now my reversors are simply four switches in the same
configuration as in XOR gates.

(SNIP)

Mark

Kevin

Ah yes, like this
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/mbellis/Technic/Pneumatics/Building-Blocks/4-switch_pneumatic_polarity_reverser.jpg

Do you have any pictures of how you used the reversors?  How successful have
they been in your walkers?

Mark