 Technic / 13797
Re: Radial Engine (and V8 crankshaft)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2005 01:41:58 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Ross Crawford wrote:
   In lugnet.technic, Nathan Bell wrote:
   In lugnet.technic, Ross Crawford wrote:
   In lugnet.technic, Nathan Bell wrote:
   Now if someone can figure out a way to arrange a (Lego) V8 crankshaft to bend 4 directions instead of 2, I will repent from the sin of butchering Legos!

Here is my V8 with 5 bearings. It has standard small block chev firing order, and uses the FOS system to simulate spark plugs/injectors. The only downside is that using the Technic mounts means it doesn’t have the correct 90 degree angle between cylinder heads.

I’ve also found the friction is somewhat greater than normal, this may be because the crankshaft pieces force a width slightly greater than 2 studs, but I haven’t tested that theory yet. I built it for use in another project which has been on the backburner for a while.

(Links to folder when moderated)

Good design Ross!

I was actually talking about the crankshaft; not the firing order. To clarify more, I meant that if someone can make a crankshaft that goes 4 directions and also fits into TLC’s modern cylinder-piston design (while also not changing their tight “V” design), I will implement their design and quit butchering legos. Whenever we get a new camera cartridge, I’ll post a picture of my butchered 4-directioned V8 crankshaft.

It’s hard to see in those pics, but the crankshaft DOES go in 4 directions to get the correct firing order, big ends 1&4 are 180 degrees apart, and 2&3 are also 180 degrees from each other and 90 degrees from 1&4 (see below). The extra stud between each big end, as well as allowing a bearing, also allows the use of #2 axles to get the 90 & 180 degree offsets. It makes the engine longer (meaning the “spark plug cable” to the farthest cylinder is actually a bit of a stretch), but I was happy with the compromise.

Cylinders:

1-2
3-4
5-6
7-8

Crankshaft:

   1,2

3,4
   +
   5,6

   7,8

Firing order: 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2

ROSCO

UH OH! I forgot to specify the length. Oh well, Rosco wins. Any butchered legos I have will stay where they are, but NO MORE BUTCHERING LEGOS! (future tense) I’ll post some pictures of the 3 butchered crankshafts I have as soon as I can.

Nobody better make bets with Rosco- he’s dangerous!

Did you know that there is actually a motorcycle with a V5? It has 3 cylinders on one side and 2 on the other. A counterweight is used to balance out the torque. I forget the name of it.

Nathan Bell