 Technic / 13805
Re: Radial Engine (and V8 crankshaft)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2005 03:08:53 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Steve Dunn wrote:
   Hey all,

(second attempt to post due to virus eating bandwidth)

Here is an idea i’ve been playing with for a while during my first super car developement.

   It has four possitions on the crank and the engine block can be 8 studs in length. Drawback is that it increases the stoke of the piston from 1 stud to about 1.4 (check with Pythagorus) so this makes it unable to fit into the newer “V” engine mounts. http://www.peeron.com/pics/inv/custpics/32333.jpg I don’t see this as a major problem as an adequet mount should be able to be built with studs.

I don’t think it should be a major problem either, because the angle of the cylinder blocks on those mounts is wrong for a V8 anyway ;)

   Another thing of note is the distance from the first piston to the drive axel. With convention LEGO engines this is 1/2 stud. with this design it is 2 studs + the half bush.

That could be a problem in shorter vehicles, but not insurmountable, I think.

   The LEGO engine with 8 cylinders will always have 4 pistons at the same place in its respective cylinder. This design will reduces that to 2; and those particular pistons will be on different banks so less noticable. Next step is 16 cylinders, 8 studs long....

   BTW, this is my first work with electronic lego/rendering

Looks great - thanks for the tip!

ROSCO