 Technic / 12328
12327  |  12329
Subject:
Whining about studless parts - Was: Pneumatics book?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sat, 10 Apr 2004 23:14:02 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Steven Lane wrote:
In lugnet.technic, Mark Bellis wrote:

The thing is though, 8455s have lots of beams without studs, and ones with studs
generally seem to be declining.  Perhaps I should build more with the beams from
8455s.  The trouble is, using the right angle brackets to make right angles
introduces too much flexing into the joints.  Beams and plates were much more
rigid.  Rigidity is essential for efficiency, and efficiency increases speed.

I've long held the opinion that it is a lot harder to make rigid structures
using studless beams. I have yet to build anything of worth entirely from
studless, despite multiple attempts.

Can you really blame this on studless parts, given that many others *have* made
worthwhile designs?  Perhaps your prejudice against studless parts is preventing
you from creating a worthwhile design.

I have made a few worthwhile (IMHO) designs using completely studless parts.  It
was not my goal to make them without studs, I just never needed aany studded
parts in these designs:

http://www.kclague.net/hex363/index.htm
http://www.kclague.net/Inchworm/index.htm

I have plenty other worthwhile (IMHO) designs that intermix studded and studless
parts:

http://www.kclague.net

http://www.kclague.net/pedmatic/index.htm
http://www.kclague.net/mm-walker/P5100053.JPG
http://www.kclague.net/PneumADDic%20II/index.htm
http://www.kclague.net/Go-Rilla/index.htm
http://www.kclague.net/at-st/index.htm

I noticed that I don't have any designs that are only studded parts.

One of the things I like to make are bipeds, and it helps a lot if the bipeds
are light, becaause this leaves less mass to wrangle and manage.

Light designs are not something that Technic bricks and plates are good at.

My prejudice is against Bionicles, because I've not (yet) figured out how to
articulate those ball and socket joints using motors.  I'm working on it though,
and hope to eliminate that prejudice soon.

Kevin