 Technic / 12325
Re: Pneumatics book?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.books
Date:
Sat, 10 Apr 2004 16:41:56 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Steven Lane wrote:
   Sorry for replying to my own post but I’ve just had another thought. Has anyone else noticed all the ancillary junk needed to build a studless creation?

Has anyone noticed all of the rich variety of parts available to the modern stud-free system that have no comparable equivalent in the old stud-dependant system? Take, for instance, these parts:

triple liftarm

1x2 flat liftarm

axle joiner

axle joiner perpendicular, and the various related pieces

   Compare it with the basic studded version, all you have is beams, of varying lengths, 1xn plates, 2xn plates and pegs.

Compare it with the old stud-dependant version, where you’re limited to just beams, plates, and pins.

   Isn’t that the hallmark of a flexible, universal system?

Isn’t that the hallmark of a restrictive, unversatile system?

   Whereas studless is plagued by endless different grommets, widgets and thingamabobs needed to get anything done.

Whereas the modern stud-free system is blessed with just about any shape you could possibly desire.

   I’m sure this means that the old system is more efficient as you need fewer different part types in your inventory.

I’m sure this means that the new system is less restrictive, as you don’t just have a handful of part types in your inventory.

Seriously, though, the old system is great for doing one thing, which is building big, strong, square structures. If that’s all you want to build, yes, it’s the best solution. The modern system allows you to build more compact designs that do the same thing, if you want smaller, less expensive creations. It doesn’t restrict you to just square shapes. And, if you take the time to learn new construction techniques, rather than trying to shoehorn the old techniques into the new system, it can build structures that are every bit as strong as the old system. Oh yeah, and it can do one thing that the old system can’t. Sculpture: