 Technic / 12308
Re: pneumatic cylinder: why not hydraulic ??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 2004 21:56:34 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Mark Bellis wrote:
I get the impression you've complicated things by putting different switches at
different lever angles.  My reverser idea puts the switch lever pivots 16mm
apart, all in a line with 2-beams between: BSBSBSBSB along a beam of length 17
holes, so an 8-beam and a 10-beam with plates above and below should suffice.
The levers have toggle joints on top, with a 14-beam connecting them.  This beam
can be pushed by 2 cylinders if required.  All the switches move together over
their full movement range.

I'd love to see a picture of your reversor, as verbal explanations by themselves
are often much harder to comprehend.

This reverser deliberately sends air from the unpowered side of the cylinder
back to the unpowered input hose, with no leaks to the atmosphere.  It is just
as important to release air correctly as it is to not release it incorrectly!
These reversers can be daisy-chained and so a single switch can provide the
first stage of reversal, forming an exclusive OR gate.  This is useful because
the single switch can be mounted on the end of a robot arm, whereas the 4
switches are too heavy and need to be on the base.  On my pick and place robot
they sit on the base, pushed by cylinders in parallel with the grab, so they
form a counterweight.  The grab is an easier load, so it always moves first.

Again, I'd like to see this.  My pneumatic mux that can act as a polarity
reversor, can just as easily be used for an XOR gate with one piston and four
switches.

Are you claiming you can do XOR with one switch and one piston?  If this is
true, you've got my attention.  Single phase or double (i.e. do you have outputs
from the gate to both expand *and* contract the next piston?)

I'm very curious about your reversors.  LEGO pneumatics are a very strong
interest of mine.

Of course the new switches can be closer together, so only a 12 beam is required
for 10 holes, and 1 14-beam for 12 holes to mount the switches.

The only place I've used offsets between switch lever angles is in pneumatic
steering, when I want to get cylinders to stop half way.  My other gates have
the switch levers all at the same angle, 'cos you know that all switches will
block or pass air at the same time.

Again, I'd love to see pictures of reversor, AND, OR and XOR gates.  I'm always
interested in alternate solutions, better, worse or the same.

I can perform AND/XOR with one piston and seven switches.  Mark Terabain can do
full adder much better than I can.  I have not taken the time yet to figure out
how his design works, but I can testify that it indeed does.

Mark

Kevin