 Technic / 12207
Re: LEGO Computers & Logic Gates
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 21 Mar 2004 12:02:51 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Martin Howard wrote:

I've tried to do it mechanically.  So far I've made NOT, AND, NAND, OR,
NOR, a basic NAND latch (flip-flop) and a clocked NAND latch.

Full details can be found via the LEGO link at my webpage:

http://www.goldfish.org.uk

In our pneumatic gates, we can sometimes use pressure directly
from the pumps as inputs to pneumatic switches, thus providing
the "amplification" people are talking about.

In my most recent pneumatic gate designs, inputs come in as
pressure to a pair of pistons.  The pistons control the switch
outputs of the gate. The pressure into these switches comes
directly from the pumps.  This way  pressure only goes
from one switch to one or more pistons (in parallel).  This gives us fresh
pressure at each gate level.  This "fresh pressure" represents the V+ or
amplification people are talking about.

However, Mark Tarrabain, the most clever pneumatic circuit designer
I ever met that owns no actual pneumatic parts :^), invented a single
piston single switch
AND gate.  Brilliant.  Stringing these gates together into larger circuits
leaves you with the same results.... "fresh pressure" from the pumps is
introduced in very few places in the circuit.  In the case of
pneumatics, this means slower switching times, because you are having
to fill larger volumes with pressurized air.

If you are trying to make a mechanical half adder, you might step back and look
at the inputs and outputs without thinking of composing the circuit out of
AND/OR/XOR/NOT circuits.

Mark did this with pneumatics and made the most efficient design.  I tried to
beat him, I really did, but every time I bested him, he'd figure out how to use
my new trick to best me.

It is very cool to see other logicians in the technic group.

Great work.

Kevin

Thanks for the comments, hints and suggestions.  Designing something without
the pieces - that's impressive!  I think the idea of a motor to amplify the
signal could be used and it should be possible to put in some sort of lever that
switches the motor direction depending on whether a 1 or a 0 is wanted - then to
turn the motor off ... well I have a week or so of leave comming up for that ;-)

Martin