 Technic / 12200
Re: LEGO Computers & Logic Gates
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 2004 21:50:38 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Martin Howard wrote:

I've tried to do it mechanically.  So far I've made NOT, AND, NAND, OR,
NOR, a basic NAND latch (flip-flop) and a clocked NAND latch.

Full details can be found via the LEGO link at my webpage:

http://www.goldfish.org.uk

That is cool Martin! The only thing I'd probably try is doing a NOT gate with
just a lever, like a 3L liftarm. May reduce backlash a little.

It would be interesting to investigate a way to make them with a +V input of
some kind - maybe a motor somehow - that does the switching of the output,
similar to the compressor input of the pneumatic models. If that could be
done, it might make much larger circuits viable.

Thanks for the comments.  The 3L liftarm is a good idea.  I did originally
try something similar, but went with the rack and pinion system instead in
the end.

At the moment I'm trying to simplify the gates to the extent that I don't need
any cogs at all.  If I get that sorted, then the problem of gear slippage
vanishes and we're back to developing only some sort amplifier that you and
other have suggested. Although I'm not exactly sure of what you mean by
using a motor to get a +V input?

Oh that was just my way of saying "amplifier" LOL. Getting an external power
source (+V is electronics talk) to power the output rather than just the input.

ROSCO