 Robotics / 22293
Re: LEGO Computers & Logic Gates
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 14 Mar 2004 00:48:14 GMT

Martin Howard wrote:

OK I've not actually built a LEGO computer, but I have recently been
considering the idea.  The first step has been to develop logic gates.
Rather than go down the pneumatic route, which has been pretty successful,
I've tried to do it mechanically.  So far I've made NOT, AND, NAND, OR,
NOR, a basic NAND latch (flip-flop) and a clocked NAND latch.

The problem seems to me that the power to run the machine comes only
from the logic inputs.   Thus, you'll have to push insanely hard on
a one bit input in order for it to operate any reasonable amount of
logic.

Maybe you need motorized 'amplifiers' at frequent intervals in the
circuits.

HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>    WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>
HomePage : http://www.sjbaker.org
Projects : http://plib.sf.net    http://tuxaqfh.sf.net