 Technic / 12191
Re: LEGO Computers & Logic Gates
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 14 Mar 2004 21:45:23 GMT

I've tried to do it mechanically.  So far I've made NOT, AND, NAND, OR,
NOR, a basic NAND latch (flip-flop) and a clocked NAND latch.

The problem seems to me that the power to run the machine comes only
from the logic inputs.   Thus, you'll have to push insanely hard on
a one bit input in order for it to operate any reasonable amount of
logic.

That definately is a problem, after a couple of gates it grinds to a halt - a
mixture of the slippage between gears and the problem you have identified.

I had envisaged that I could use a piston arrangement to drive the clock signal
backwards and forwards,  in the hope that this would give power to each logic
operation.  But as you say the actual bits are completely passive.

Maybe you need motorized 'amplifiers' at frequent intervals in the
circuits.

Definately worth looking into, especially if I am to build a full adder or shift
register.

Martin