 Technic / 12057
Re: Motion considerations when RCXing The Improved and New Old Miller Gustav's Post Mill
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle, lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2004 14:06:54 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Tobbe Arnesson wrote:
   Getting a powered axle through a turntable is a non-issue.

Getting two through it is another thing, although not hard to do.

I think the best implementation of such a device is in Jennifer Clark’s fine JCB: http://www.genuinemodels.com/jcb.htm

I’ve never seen that arrangement before, but it’s impressive. I don’t have the gears and clutches for that. I’ve tried a crude version locking differential boxes together, and driving off the gears on the ends though.

Okay, two ways to get a simple two-shaft concentric drive:

The first is, as mentioned above, use a technic turntable, driven by a pinion on the outer rack, to turn the main body of your mill. Then, drive the sails with a shaft right up the centre of the turntable.

The more compact version is to have a central drive shaft for the sails, and drop a dark grey technic freewheel gear over it, again as mentioned above. Put a technic 1x4 plate (the steering plate with holes in the ends) on top of it, to lock into the crown, then press a technic 2x8 plate down on top of that. Drive the gear with a worm gear placed just low enough for the plates to turn freely on the shaft.

My mill on the NBLTC layout:

Uses the technic turntable method. It can turn right round under remote control. There’s also a pinion gear that picks up the drive from the inner track of the turntable, and uses a chain drive to spin the tail of the windmill as the head turns.

Jason Railton