 Technic / 11524
Re: New MOCs: 2 Large Cranes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 4 Nov 2003 04:15:34 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Tobbe Arnesson wrote:
It was -and still is- an impressive achievment in LEGO, TJ! To bad you failed to
operate it properly, an check list for your next project might be in order .)

Definitely. I think an operator's manual and a training course would have helped
too!

Unbelivable no parts were broken after that incident, LEGO is tough! How big
radius did it spread out on?

No kidding. I was amazed too. LEGO is quite durable. I think parts flew out
20-30 feet or more. There are probably some still out there!

It must have accelerated down towards the end, when the motors picked up speed.
Make sure you leave a camcorder on a tripod from now on when you pull stunts
like that :P

Hmm.. Good idea :-) I could sell the video to you LEGO junkies ;-)

Don't get me wrong, it's a shame it broke. A splendid crane it was. Good thing
Steve was cool about the whole incident. It's one thing to wreck your own MOC
but a whole different ballfield to take someone elses MOC with you.

Yeah, Steve is very laid back. Plus it's LEGO and can be put back together.

Cool your wife helped with the sorting!

Amazing. She was very supportive this summer, even to the point of physically
helping me. She spend a Friday night in the LEGO room sorting and getting the
parts ready for the tower crane. Many thanks to her.

-A 8.5 foot tall model of a tower crane.

Also a fine crane, I my self want to build one of these at some point. It should
make a fairly easy type of crane to brake my virginity in the crane field.

As long as you don't plan like ROSCO that is! :)

You forgot one of the greatest benefits in your description; The small
footprint!

Yes, you're right.

Also, the solution to your slewing problems might be considering an RCX to
control the motors. Using NQC and setting the motors to 'float' instead of 'off'
would give a nicer treatment to the geartrain. Software can also take care of
the start-up issue. If you want a mechanical solution, a micromotor running a
polarity switch can do the trick. It's the same effect.

Or are your motors 'unbraked' as-is when in off-status? You know how the 9V
motors keep spinning a few rev's when you rip the cable off. Dunno how the
HiTechnic remote runs the motors.

The motors are braked somewhat when they're not being used (when connected to
the HiTechnic receiver, and it is hooked up to a battery). This was the problem
with the MSG 50 accident. I created mechanical winch brakes that would lock the
drums when the R/C unit's power was switched off. When on, the motors are always
"braked" and the winches would not spool out when the lines were loaded. I just
forgot to engage those mechanical brakes :-(

You still have not built a mobile crane (not counting the one back in '94) so I
won't stop you now :P

I think you're the most crane-nut of us all - and I mean that in a good way!

Besides, if you need help with that 'problem', this is harldy the place to seek
it :)

;-)

thanks,
TJ