 Technic / 11508
Re: New MOCs: 2 Large Cranes
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 2 Nov 2003 12:40:49 GMT

In lugnet.announce.moc, Thomas Avery wrote:
Once in a long while I get the privilege of announcing a new MOC. Today, I'm
announcing two! Presenting:

-A 15 foot tall model of the real MSG 50 crane operated by Mammoet.

It was -and still is- an impressive achievment in LEGO, TJ! To bad you failed to
operate it properly, an check list for your next project might be in order .)

Unbelivable no parts were broken after that incident, LEGO is tough! How big
radius did it spread out on?

It must have accelerated down towards the end, when the motors picked up speed.
Make sure you leave a camcorder on a tripod from now on when you pull stunts
like that :P

Don't get me wrong, it's a shame it broke. A splendid crane it was. Good thing
Steve was cool about the whole incident. It's one thing to wreck your own MOC
but a whole different ballfield to take someone elses MOC with you.

Cool your wife helped with the sorting!

-A 8.5 foot tall model of a tower crane.

Also a fine crane, I my self want to build one of these at some point. It should
make a fairly easy type of crane to brake my virginity in the crane field.

As long as you don't plan like ROSCO that is! :)

You forgot one of the greatest benefits in your description; The small
footprint!

Also, the solution to your slewing problems might be considering an RCX to
control the motors. Using NQC and setting the motors to 'float' instead of 'off'
would give a nicer treatment to the geartrain. Software can also take care of
the start-up issue. If you want a mechanical solution, a micromotor running a
polarity switch can do the trick. It's the same effect.

Or are your motors 'unbraked' as-is when in off-status? You know how the 9V
motors keep spinning a few rev's when you rip the cable off. Dunno how the
HiTechnic remote runs the motors.

p.s. Please help me, I'm addicted to building cranes and I can't stop! :-)

You still have not built a mobile crane (not counting the one back in '94) so I
won't stop you now :P

I think you're the most crane-nut of us all - and I mean that in a good way!

Besides, if you need help with that 'problem', this is harldy the place to seek
it :)

Take care,
/Tobbe