 Technic / 10851
Re: Water Tank in 8454?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, lugnet.technic
Date:
Sun, 29 Jun 2003 23:41:49 GMT

In lugnet.org.ca.rtltoronto, Steve Moldovanu wrote:
Really? Well I saw some of the picture and basically the whole truck is empty,

     It's also kinda tiny.  I think the whole thing was maybe 16" long, 6" wide,
and 5" tall.  I don't have any pneumatic reservoir tanks, so I don't know how
small they are, but I think you've only got a couple of vertical inches to work
with, and that might just be in the engine compartment.  Remember, the entire
upper half of the back quarter or so opens, and it doesn't fall shut either, so
there's got to be some sort of system built into that area to keep it up once
you've opened it.  And right behind the cab are two opposing doors with some
really freaky design setup that prevents them from both being opened at the same
time (I'm not sure why, but it's true).  Between those two sections are two blue
"lights" mounted to the top.  The forward one controls the aim of the water
cannon, and the rear one controls the steering of six of the eight wheels, so
both of those have to have some sort of control setup connected to them.  So
yes, there is some empty space in there, but it's probably not all one big empty
space.

so I don't think taking out the engine would be necessary

     Maybe not, but I suspect that area is likely to be the simplest place to
mount a pneumatic reservoir, and using two together will take up twice as much
space.  Assuming you don't go the SuperSoaker route.

and as for the steering mechanism....well I have to buy the model to actually
see how it is and how much space is available

     It really is quite cool.  From what I remember, one combined steering
system directly controls all six steerable wheels.  The third set back is the
fixed set, so the second and fourth sets steer roughly opposed to each other,
and the forward set slightly oversteers, so all eight wheels are able to roll
freely without any of them being loose mounted.  Most of the steering system is
probably located in the undercarriage, but like I said, the rear blue light is
the steering control, so if you want to use the space directly underneath it
without disconnecting the steering system, you'll probably have to use a series
of gears and/or belts to offset the vertical connection from the control knob.

but thanks for the ideas.

     Think nothing of it.  I'm between horribly convoluted problems right now,
so it's nice to fill that annoying little void in my life.  ;P