 Technic / 10387
Re: My site is down :-(
Newsgroups:
lugnet.modelteam, lugnet.technic, lugnet.build
Date:
Fri, 16 May 2003 00:20:40 GMT

In lugnet.modelteam, Matthew Miller writes:
You're not using a standard character in the second case there, so I can't
tell what you mean exactly, but I'm assuming you mean TM.

     Actually, I am.  I pulled both of the characters from the Times New
Roman (a universally accepted "standard" font) character map.  If you can't
see it, you must not be using a standardized font.  I know that some fonts
bump the non-keyboard characters around into unusual places, but most of the
basic English fonts stick to the same pattern.  Anyways, yes, it's the (TM)
symbol.

The distinction isn't actually the one you're making; the full r-in-a-circle
symbol means that the trademark is registered in the US. It may mean a
similar thing in other countries. However, you don't have to register a
trademark for it to be valid -- you just have to use it in trade. The TM
symbol is a way of explicitly claiming that a given mark is specifically a
trademark. You'll also see SM for service mark.

     Actually, we're both wrong.  Let me quote the LEGO Trademark Usage
section of the 2002 Brand Book (given out at Toy Fair):

"The first time one of our registered trademarks appears in copy (especially
in a headline or title), it should be accompanied by the appropriate
registration symbol (either (R), if the trademark is registered in all of
the countries in which it is being used, or (TM), if registration is limited
or the trademark application is still pending)."

     I was misremembering what the Brand Book said, since both of my copies
(2002 and 2003) were kinda buried.

Copyrights don't apply to inventions -- that's patents are for.

     You're right.  I should have used the word "products", since that's
what I was referring to when I said "inventions".